Thursday, February 10, 2011

The Rack of Deliciousness



Is there really anything more comforting than ribs?  My future brother-in-law gave me this recipe for the rub several years ago.  Ribs were not this rub's initial intent if I can remember correctly.  The first time it was introduced to me was in the form of a burger.  Yes, he actually coated a ground beef burger with the rub, then let it marinate before grilling.  I have to say it was DAMN good.

In the 4ish years I have had this recipe I like to call "Emile's Rib Rub," I have used it on almost every grill-able and smoke-able meat.  Beef is good, chicken wings are excellent, but ribs are by far my favorite.

The wonderful thing about this recipe is the relaxing all day event of monitoring the smoker.  Adding wood chips, adding charcoal, trying SO hard not to open it "just to take a look." The smell is amazing, especially in the cold winter!  This process usually involves a beer or three.  It was my recent mini Superbowl party.  Actually, it was a packed house!  People were sitting on the floor, there were lines to bar and lines to bathroom.  OK...it was 5 of us, but we were all in one room.

With all the anticipation leading up to the event, you need apps.  So, marinate the wings in a plastic zip bag with the rub for a few hours, fire up the grill, maybe another beer, and then enjoy some chicken wings.

Of course you need the side of potato salad and homemade Abita Purple Haze BBQ Sauce. 


***************************************************
Up coming blogs in whatever order I decide:

Rice

Pops (Cake Pops)

***************************************************

Now for the technical stuff.  I usually make 1 part = 1 tablespoon because it keeps well in a plastic container for a while.  It is also much easier to toss all of the ingredients in the bowl of a food processor to combine very evenly.

Emile's Rib Rub

8 Parts Brown Sugar
3 Parts Kosher Salt
1 Part Chili Powder

1 Part Black Pepper
1 Part Onion Powder
1 Part Garlic Powder
1 Part Cumin
1 Part Cayenne Pepper
 



3 comments:

  1. How long do they have to be in the smoker?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The longer the better, I smoked these for about 5 hours, kept the smoker at about 150 and they came out perfect and juicy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I might have to try this... ribs are one of my faves. Near me there is a meat shop from whom I get my ribs -- rubbed and marinated. They are delicious, but this rub looks like good competition!

    My friend Meredith gave me your blog address. She, Shaw, and I all went to Furman together. (Tell him HI!) I have a few recipes on my blog if you want to have a look sometime -- lots of southern yumminess!

    And you know, even through all their popularity, I've never had cake balls. Your most recent post makes me want to try them! Yum. I might need to read your blog with caution... it makes me hungry!

    ReplyDelete